Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Jay the Hero

We had a very scary incident yesterday that has gotten Jay & I counting our blessings. Jay was outside cleaning the pool and Addisyn came out to go swing. Jay told her it was alright and to go wait for him by the swing. Addisyn either forgot we had a pool or was watching Jay and not paying attention because she fell right in. Jay said all he heard was a splash, looked up, and saw Addi treading water. Jay jumped in and got her out just fine. It was 35 degrees here yesterday and Jay said he's amazed there wasn't thin pieces of ice in the pool. I was in the shower during all this, but my mom and 2 sisters were still here. All they saw happen was Jay flying through the air and into the pool. They ran out, got Addi from Jay, and immediately ran inside and put her in a tub of warm water. Jay met me getting out of the shower and tells me what happened. I ran to Addisyn and she was crying hysterically. It scared her to death. While I was hugging and comforting her she said, " Mom I drowned and daddy saved me." I didn't realize at this exact moment how serious it really was until Jay got out of his hot shower and he started crying while hugging Addi. Addisyn told me she doesn't know how she fell in, she just knows she was swimming in her shoes until daddy rescued her. I didn't get anything accomplished the rest of the day I was so distraught and I didn't even witness the ordeal, maybe that was a blessing. Addisyn has no fear of anything and I think she now has a better respect of the pool. She told me she's not scared of it but she wants to learn how to swim. I'm so glad I worked with her this past year on swimming because I think that helped her know what to do when she fell in. Jay and I have security locks on all of our doors so that Addisyn can't reach them and open the doors to go outside, but we are going to take extra measures to keep her and Bradley safer. We are going to have a company come and install a fence right around the pool so that even when they are outside playing they can't accidentally fall in. We love our daddy, our hero!!!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

How scarry! I am so glad that everything is alright. You hear of kids drowning and you think oh that'll never happen to me. Poor thing was probably scared (and freezing) to death. I love that she said Daddy rescued me! How cute:)

Shiela Lee said...

We are sure glad to hear that everyone is ok! Thinking of you guys!

Jeni said...

Mary, this is so scary!!! This is one of my all-time biggest fears..one of my kids drowning in a pool. Good idea for the fence, and so glad everything turned out well thanks to Daddy the hero! Hope you're having fun in SC!

Debbie said...

So scary! Glad to hear that everyone is doing okay though! Way to go, Jay!